Print Bookmark


» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»     » Slide Show

Eliza Jane Gingell Barton

by Della Davenport Marsden


by Della Davenport Marsden,
a granddaughter

copied from Arta Barton Smith's copy Lehi, Utah — April 1962

Eliza Jane Gingell Barton, my grandmother, was born April 22, 1843 in Camden, Cook County, Australia. She left Australia for Utah June 27, 1857, being 14 years of age. She came with her parents William and Mary Ann Woodhams Gingell and a company of Latter-day Saints.

They arrived in San Pedro, California, October 12, 1857, being on the water more than three months. I have heard Grandma tell of how, when they left the shore in a flat boat the non—mormons said, "That's good enough for the damn Mormons." It is certain that they had a rather rough voyage and it took real courage to leave homes and emigrate to the west for the sake of the Gospel.

I fancy it took more courage when they arrived in Paragonah New Year's Day 1858. They had no home until they got logs and built them one.

It was in Paragonah that Grandma met and married John Samuel Barton in November 1861. She would then be 18 years of age. They later received their Temple Endowments. They had nine children, my mother being the oldest daughter.

Mother told me about their going to Bear Valley to ranch in the Summer and of the butter and cheese they made to supply them during the winter months. Grandmother had to work really hard to get a little money to supply the needs of so large a family. She used to wash for others and I can remember the large dirty washings she would do for 5O cents. This pittance to buy a little sugar or other groceries. She had a loom and did yards and yards of weaving, both home made carpet and rugs. I had a homemade carpet she wove on my bedroom floor for years.

I can remember going to her place for a meal and then she would give me a square of butter to take home with me. I can also remember going down to get rhubarb from her big patch. She had beautiful flowers growing in front of her house, some of them being Pinks, Sweet Williams, Canteberry Bells and Columbines. I never see Canteberry Bells without I think of dear Grandma.

You could always tell when it was twelve o'clock noon and 6 PM in the evening, by seeing Grandfather go or come from his field work. I like that quality, as many hours of other people's time have been wasted by waiting for tardy people.

Both of my grandparents were very good to us as children. My brother, Willie, says that though he wasn't Mother's own child that Grandma treated him wonderful and how he respected and loved her.

She encouraged us to study and excel in our school work and was proud of any accomplishment we made.

She loved to hear me play on the organ they had in their home. Whenever I went in she would ask me to play for her. I sometimes think our Grandparents, as well as our parents, did much of giving and little of receiving. I treasure their memory and hope we can be as courageous as they were. Grandma died 14 November 1932 in Paragonah, and was buried beside Grandpa who had died 19 years before on 6 December 1913.

Grandma raised three of her Bleak grandchildren besides her own children.

D.4.a. Continued.

These are grandma's children, who they married and significant dates:

name born married died
John Samuel Penn Barton 3 Aug 1862 Martha Elizabeth Williamson 1946
Steven Alma Barton 20 May 1864 Ellen Sophia Lund 1952
Matilda Jane Barton 14 July 1866 James Burrus Davenport 7 Feb 1922
Joseph Wesley Barton 3 Nov 1868 Margaret Ann Owens 6 Dec 1927
Sally Ann Barton 30 Mar 1873 1) Wm. G. Bleak 2) Geo. Harris 23 Nov 1904
Charlotte Caroline Barton 6 Feb 1876 Edward Bardsley
David Phillip Barton 28 Apr 1877 Cornelia Page
Eliza Esther Barton 17 Nov 1880 Albert Dailey Robb


(married John Samuel BARTON)

William Gingell And Mary Ann Woodhams Gingell

The first record we find of William Gingell is at age 19. This record is from the Record Office, County Hall Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England. I quote – "shows that William Gingell aged 19, was awaiting trial, he was committed by W. E. Waldron a Trowbridge magistrate, on 9 Dec 1828, charged with burglary of a looking glass and other articles at the house of John Fricker in Hilperton and of a tea chest at the house of Lionel Woodward at Trowbridge."

Next we find a record at the Mitchell Library in New South Wales Australia. The first record being from the Ship's Log——"With regard to William Gingell, ship: K.S. Forbes arrived: 19 Feb 1830 age 18: religion Protestant: native place Wiltshire: trade weaver: offence housebreaking: tried Wiltshire: height 5 ft. 6Ό inches; complexion ruddy: hair dark brown: eyes hazel: mark or scars Large dark mark on top of left knee."

The Mitchell Library index to the Australian Newspaper (1842-1844) also contains this entry. Gingell, William, Ticket of leave granted 11 Sep 1838.

The Catalogue of Manuscripts (Mitchell Library) contains these entries 1. 1845, Feb 22 Gingell, William conditional pardon recommended and confirmed 1845. 2. Gingell, William conditional pardon 2 class, 1846 28 Mar 1847.

From the records written by Lucy Hannah Gingell Lannon in 1934 (the youngest child of William and Mary Ann Woodhams) we get a slightly different history of William. "William Gingell born in Wiltshire, England, November 5, 1812, was five years old when his father was killed in the Battle of Waterloo. He had just one sister, Hannah, after whom Lucy Hannah Gingell Lannon was named. He was serving an apprenticeship as a broadcloth weaver in England before he left and ran away to Australia. In Australia he herded sheep first and then became a drayman, owning and operating a fleet of seven drays hauling merchandise from the wharves to merchants in Australia. He married Mary Ann Woodhams in 1840, and about 1857 they, with their family came by sailing boat to the United States, larding in San Pedro.

Mary Ann Gingell was disowned by her father when she joined the Mormon Church and came to the United States from Australia.'

The first records we find on Mary Ann Woodhams also come from England but all that we find are her birth records being 31 Aug 1822, Hastings, Sussex, England, her parents David Woodhams and Lucy Richardson Thwaites. Next we find her and her two sisters, father and mother in the records from the Mitchell Library in Australia, here they are listed as Bounty Immigrants, coming on the ship Neptune and arriving 27 Sep 1839. Mary Ann's father was a farm laborer-her mother a dressmaker. Caroline age 19 and Mary Ann 18 were dairymaids. It lists no occupation for Elizabeth 14, all of the family could read and write. Their religion was listed as Protestant.

In the father's will there is another sister listed, Lucy Ann Woodhams, born in Australia. But the father says nothing of Mary Ann.

Mary Ann writes in her Family record book, "We arrived in Sydney on Oct 28, 1839, I stayed with my Father and Mother until Nov 1, 1840. I married William Gingell. He was a hard working man, kind and well respected, by him I had 12 children."

Shortly after their marriages they migrated to Camden, Australia and later went to Sydney. Ten children were born to them there. One child was born while crossing the ocean. After their arrival in Utah they lived for a time in Paragonah and Parowan. In this little community they endured all the hardships of pioneering, their last child was born. Sometime between 1861 and 1870 they moved to Evanston, Wyoming.

Mary Ann Gingell died in Evanston, but as yet we do not know just where William died.

Mary Ann Woodhams (or Woodams/Woodums)

By a Great Granddaughter Della Davenport Marsden

Mary Ann Woodams Gingell, great grandmother, was born August 31, 1822 at Hastings, England. Her parents were David Woodhams and Lucy Richardson.

I know nothing of her life until we find them in Camden, Cook County, Australia. We have every reason to believe that she and her husband William Gingell, moved to Australia at marriage because most of their large family was born there. The following are their sons and daughters:

name birth place
Charlotte Elizabeth Gingell 1 Sep 1841 Camden, Cook Co. Australia
Eliza Jane Gingell 22 Apr 1843 "
Henry Thwaits Gingell 20 Oct 1844 "
David Thomas Woodhams Gingell 29 Jun 1846 "
William Gingell 9 Jul 1848 Sidney
James George Gingell 21 Dec 1849 "
Sarah Mary Gingell 29 Jan 1852 "
Joseph Gingell 13 Oct 1853 "
Stephen Gingell 12 Jul 1855 "
Josiah William Gingell 14 Sep 1857 Pacific Ocean
Orson Richarson Gingell 19 May 1859 Paragonah, Iron Co., Utah
Lucy Hannah Gingell 6 Jun 1861 " "

It is no wonder, with this large family that they needed help when they decided to embark with a number of Mormons who left Australia in the spring of 1857.

My grandmother says when they left the shores of Australia it was in a flat boat and people on shore commented, "That's good enough for those damn Mormons." I take it from this the boat was rather dangerous to start out in. So they sailed for weeks and weeks with only one large rock to break the monotony until they reached the shores of America, having crossed the Pacific Ocean and landing on the shores at San Pedro, California.

The ship they sailed on was the "Janiford", with 100 converts of the Church aboard and they were on the water 103 days. Theirs was a dangerous voyage for three different times the ship caught fire and those on board nearly perished. Then too, it became marooned on a coral reef near the Hawaiian Islands.

The group rested for awhile in San Pedro then started their trek across the Western desert for Utah and arrived in Parowan late in the fall of 1857, and on to Paragonah.

I wonder how my dear great grandmother survived to give birth to a child while crossing the ocean and care for it as well as all her other children would be hard in a well equipped home, but out on the ocean with no comforts and likely only part of the necessities must have been a real test of faith

There were several LDS Missionaries returning to Utah on the same ship who would be a real source of comfort and inspiration to the group unaccustomed to such rough ways.

The Gingell's arrived in Paragonah on New Years day 1858. Upon arriving here it was no rosy spot, for like all others they were forced to endure the hardships of pioneer life. I am told great grandmother was very true to the Church and attended her religious activities with diligence.

My one great Aunt, Lucy Hannah, who I knew personally, told me she had been a very great disappointment to her mother for she had married a non-mormon.

However, she was a very nice lady.

The family moved to Evanston, Wyoming some time later. We do not know when they moved nor why.

From a letter received from a relative we have all the information I can get about her life in Evanston.

The first residence in Evanston was put up by Mary Ann Woodhams Gingell. It was located a few miles east of the hotel. It was built of logs brought from a camp near Piedmont.

The first marriage in Evanston took place in this home in 1870. The couple to be married were David Gingell (Henry Thwaites Gingell his brother according to one family group sheet) and Caroline Gage. It was solemnized by Reverend Mr. Stevens, a clergyman of the Episcopal Church who stopped in Evanston for a few days.

From the above dates we know that the family left Paragonah sometime after 1861 and before 1870 and that they were among the first settlers in Evanston, Wyoming.

Mr. Anderson, Genealogical Secretary in Evanston in 1953 says of my Great Grandmother, "As a little child I can remember Mary Ann Woodhams Gingell, then quite old, going about with her small bag to the homes to help deliver babies as she was a midwife."

She died 7 November 1901 in Evanston, Uinta, Wyoming.

Note: FGS has her husband, William Gingell as having died 12 January 1862 at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah


The L.D.S. Church chartered this ship, "Lucas" to carry all the saints from Australia to America and to take the company to Utah if they desired.

The company left Sidney, Australia on the ship Lucas, June 27, 1857 with Captain J. C. Daggett in command.

June 18, 1857: Organized as follows by a special conference at Sidney, New South Wales, Australi


William M. Wall, President – Absolein P. Dowel, First Counselor and Superintendent of provisions and supplies.– George Roberts, Second Counselor

ACTING TEACHERS – George Hunter – William Hawkins


Robert Arbon — Elder
Hannah Arbon — Wife
Jane Arbon — Daughter
Russel Arbon — Son
John Arbon — Son
Anna Maria Arbon — Daughter
Joseph Cadd — Non-member
Sophia Elizabeth Cadd —non-member
Joseph Cadd — Son, a member
Heber Cadd — Son, a member
Richard Bowden — Teacher
Mary Bowden — Wife
George Hunter — Teacher
Elizabeth Hunter — Wife
William Hawkins — Teacher
Eliza Hawkins — Wife
William Robb — Elder
Ellen Robb — Wife
William Robb — Son
Ann Robb — Daughter
Ellen Robb — Daughter
Thomas Robb — Son
Alexander Robb — Son
George Robb — Son
John Robb — Son
Adam Robb — Son
George Burton — Elder
Ann Burton — Wife
Clara Jane Burton — Daughter
Amelia Christiana Burton — Daughter
George Alma Burton — Son
William Gurr — Teacher
Sarah Elizabeth Gurr — Wife
Sarah Elizabeth Gurr — Daughter
Richard Rills tone
Sarah Ann Rillstone — Wife
Had a son on board ship, named him William Wall Rillstone Blessed Sept. 27, 1857
William Gingell — Elder
Mary Ann Gingell — Wife
Charlotte Elizabeth — Daughter
*Eliza Gingell — Daughter
Henry Gingell — Son
David Thomas Gingell — Son
Josiah William Gingell, Son born on board ship, blessed Sept. 27, 1857
Enoch Eldredge Gurr — Elder
Ruth Buckman Gurr — Wife
James Gurr — Son
Sarah Gurr — Daughter
Ruben Gurr — Son
Susanah Gurr — Daughter
Peter Gurr — Son
John Stuchberry — Non-member
Emma Stuchberry — Wife
Ann Stuchberry — Daughter
George Roberts — Elder
Susan Roberts — Wife
Robert Cochrane — Elder
Tresa Cochrane – Wife
Tresa Cochrane — Daughter
Robert John Cochrane — Son born on board ship
George Ward —
Edmund John Harris — Elder

Absolem P. Dowel inspected supplies and provisions and reported all things ready for Daughter sea on the 26th of June 1857.

June 27, 1857, Saturday: The pilot came on board at eight o'clock and gave orders to weigh anchor. Ship underway at 9 o'clock. Soon after the ship was underway, Brother Stewart Clark and Chaffin Potter had come on board. They accompanied us to the mouth of the harbor about seven miles from Sidney. Then they took an affectionate farewell, bestowing their blessings upon the Company. Captain, Officers and Crew soon left Sidney in the distance, having a fair wind from the west, driving us at the rate of seven knots per hour toward the East. The sea being rough, sea—sickness commenced that night and was very unpleasant.

JUNE 30, Tuesday: This morning the wind has fallen off leaving almost a calm. Company still improving of sea—sickness. At 9 o'clock company assembled for prayer. Elder Dowel made prayer, also made a few remarks on being united and obeying the orders of the church. President Wall followed with a few remarks on the same subject. He then nominated Elder George Hunter and William Hawkins as Teachers of the Company. After services the wind freshened and carried us at the rate of 10 knots per hour. In the afternoon had a gale from the North West. It continued to blow hard all afternoon.

JULY 1, Wednesday: This morning the gale continues to blow. The sea is very rough and most of the Company are very sea—sick. About 4 o'clock in the afternoon there was a sharp squall of wind that carried off the foresail and the Main top sail, also the fore top mast. Before the sails gave way the ship laid over on her beam. The duration of the squall was but short. The ship soon righted from her perilous condition letting most of the canvas fall on deck, to the joy of all on board ship. Squalls at intervals during the night.

JULY 7, Monday: This morning very wet and uncomfortable. Strong breeze all night. Sea very rough, making but little headway. Prayer by George Hunter, singing. In the evening had prayer. Elder Gurr made prayer, singing.

JULY 9, Wednesday: This morning at daylight we came in sight of those Islands called the "Three Kings." About 30 miles to the north of New Zealand. They lay about 30 miles distant from our starboard bow. We have made excellent headway, considering all things. Much better than we anticipated. Wind fair, ship heading North east half south in order to round the North Cape of New Zealand. All well on board this morning. Assembled for prayer, singing. Prayer by Elder George Roberts, after which we spent some time in singing. A good spirit seemed to prevail throughout. About 12 o'clock the wind began to fall off. In the evening almost a dead calm. In the evening, prayer by Elder Wall, singing. Wind still favorable.

July 17, Thursday: This morning a steady breeze, weather fine. Prayer and singing. Elders Robb and Gingell spoke. Also Pres. Wall. Provisions weighed out after dinner. Elder Roberts made out a scale showing the amount of provisions for each family. Pres. Wall assisted Dowdle in serving the provisions. Had Prayer and singing in the evening.

July 19, Saturday: This morning wind variable, weather dull with sleet and rain. Had prayer and singing, a good feeling prevailed. Had evening prayer.

July 24, Friday: Blowing strong all night, still ahead. Prayer this morning led by Elder Hunter. Pres. Wall spoke on the celebration of the 24th of July, but as the weather was boisterous each was to do the best he could. Elder Dowdle spoke upon this eventful day. Weather fine, Prayer.

July 26, Sunday: Fair wind this morning, hardly any sail set. Sea very rough. Assembled between decks to hold meeting at 11 o'clock. Elder Dowdle addressed the company. Latitude 32'. 12 more sail set. Weather fine. Also had a testimony meeting in the evening. Some of the brothers bore their testimonies. Elder Dowdle was impressed by the spirit to tell the saints to arise from their sleepiness and humble themselves and serve the Lord more faithfully. A fine breeze before going to bed, all sail set.

July 27, Monday: This morning wind fair going first rate. At 9:30 A.M. had prayer, singing. Barometer low and it gives signs that bad weather is near at hand. In the evening had prayer with singing. Before midnight a squall overtook us and was likely to damage the ship as all sails were set. But she only sustained the tearing of 2 of her sails.

Aug. 4, Tuesday: This morning fair winds. Pace about 5 knots. Prayers, Hymn, "The Time is Far Spent" Pres. Wall made prayer. Sky in the evening began to look tropical. In the evening had prayer and singing. Another difficulty arose before going to bed. Pres. Wall soon restored peace between the 2 brethren. Latitude 26.55 Longitude 157.26. Elder Roberts voted in to teach school.

Aug. 6, Thursday: This morning high winds. Pace about 3 knots per hour. Weather fine. This morning Elder Hawkins offered to assist Elder Roberts in teaching school. In the evening had prayer by Elder Wall. One of the brethren asked forgiveness of the brethren for which was granted unanimously. Several of the brethren bore their testimonies to the truth of the work.

Aug. 15, Saturday: Weather fine. Lat. 163.0. Elder Dowdle made prayer.

Singing, school 2 P.M. During tea time one of the children, daughter of

John Stuchberry, climbed upon an old stove, fell back and the pipe, which was loose fell too. It struck her foot cutting it very badly. Prayers.

Aug. 16, Sunday: Wind from West, weather fine. Assembled between decks for prayer. Elder Dowdle made prayer. Pres. Wall and Dowdle spoke for a short time, but soon dismissed as the weather was very hot. The wife of Rob~rt Cochrane gave birth to a son at 11:30 o'clock. Aug. 16, 1857. In the evening had meeting on deck.

Aug. 17, Monday: This morning calm. Wind very light. At 11 o'clock breeze freshened and continued to blow hard all day. Prayer this morning by Elder Roberts, singing. No school in afternoon on account of their moving coals from the stern to the head of the ship. Prayer and singing.

Aug. 18, Tuesday: This morning wind hauled more ahead, sending us more to the west. The most dangerous part of the Pacific Ocean. Prayer by Elder Dowdle, Pres. Wall gave council to the brethren in regards to their children, to have them with them at prayer time, also to teach them to pray. At 2 P.M. had school on quarter deck on account of sickness between decks. This day Elder Harris declined to teach any more. He stated his reasons that some of the parents found fault with him. Elder Dowdle volunteered his services, Elder Harris was not voted in to teach but kindly offered to assist Elder Roberts. John Stuchberry suffering with sickness. Prayers attended with singing this evening.

Aug. 19, Wednesday: This morning Sophia Cadd gave birth to a son, at 20 minutes to 5 AM – the wife of Joseph Cadd. Head wind this morning. Elder Robb made prayer. Mercury up to 80. Some of the children suffering with whooping cough. John Stuchberry a little better. This morning not such unity among us as should be.

Aug. 27, Thursday: Wind from the East. Going northeast by North about 5 knots. Weather fair. Prayer this morning attended by singing. Sick improved. School at 2. In the evening attended prayer meeting between decks. A few of the brethren bore their testimonies to the truth.

Aug. 31, Monday.: Wind still from the same quarter. Going along about 5 knots. Weather fine. In morning Brother Hawkins led prayer. Pres Wall and Elder Roberts spoke. School at 2 PM. Prayer in evening. A night of unusual custom of Captain coming on deck to pay his respects to the passengers and many received a good sprinkling. A merry time while it lasted.

Sept. 1, Tuesday: Wind still in the same quarter going about 5 knots. Elder Robb made prayer. School at 2. At school time one of Brother Robb's children was very sick. The brethren who were there said it was dying and when Pres. Wall and Dowdle went to administer to it, Pres. Wall said that the breath had left the body. After administering to it, it revived a little and continued in a deep sleep until the next morning. When it awoke it was quite well, and in good health. About 5 P.M. a great number of black fish came and played around the ship. Some very large ones were seen. In the evening prayer was offered by Elder Robb followed by singing.

Sept. 9, Wednesday: Wind still from the Northeast. Heavy squalls. Sea rough. Some sea—sickness. Mercury up to 86 degrees. Prayer this morning by Elder Burton, singing. School at 2 PM. Captain sick today so not to attend to his duties. In evening, Elder Gurr made prayer. Still rough before going to bed. Latitude 15.7.

Sept. 10, Thursday: Wind strong from the Northeast, Mercury 86. Elder Harris prayed. This morning Presidency administered to Elder Gingell. School at 2. Captain a little better. Testimony meeting. Elder Roberts made prayer. Many of the brethren bore their testimonies.

Sept. 12, Saturday: Wind Northeast, mercury 82. Prayer this morning by Elder Robb. Singing. School at 2 PM. Prayer by Elder Wall.

Sept. 13, Sunday: Wind Northeast, weather fine. Meeting at 11 o'clock. Singing. Prayer Elder Hunter. Pres. Wall spoke on the use of and progress of the Church. After meeting the Presidency administered to Sister Gingell. Meeting in the evening, prayer by Elder Dowdle. Elder Roberts was called to take charge of the meeting. Most of the brethren and sisters bore their testimonies. During the meeting Sister Ann Cadd was taken very ill. After meeting the Presidency administered to her. She received immediate relief.

Sept. 14, Monday: This morning fine wind, Pres. Wall made prayer. No school today on account of ——-(illegible). Prayer in the evening by Elder Gurr. This evening at 20 min. to 10 Sister Gingell gave birth to a son. All mothers that have given birth to children on board have been delivered about 20 minutes after being administered to.

Sept. 15, Tuesday: Wind light, weather fair, Sister Gingell as well as could be expected. All in good spirits, good health generally. Prayer this morning by Elder Dowdle. Singing. School today by Elder Dowdle. Prayer this evening by Elder Roberts.

Sept. 17, Thursday: Wind light. Prayer by Elder Dowdle, he also made a few remarks for the Saints to prepare themselves for the trials that were yet to come before them. Exhorting them all to faithfulness. After which the Presidency administered to Bro. and Sister Gingell. Pres. Wall gave council to all to take care of their wives and children and meet at 8 PM for prayer meeting. Elder Dowdle took charge. Singing, prayer by Elder Wall. Most of saints bore their testimonies. Good spirit prevailed. Pres. Wall and Dowdle gave good instructions to the saints.

Sept 20, Sunday: This morning fine, wind light, Meeting at 11 AM. Singing. Prayer by Elder Dowdle. Elder Robb addressed the Company on the coming forth of the work of the Lord and the necessity of us fulfilling our covenants. Elder Dowdle followed reasoning on the necessity of all persons striving for salvation in the right way. Peace through the day. Prayer meeting in the evening. Pres. Wall led prayer. A good spirit prevailed. All that spoke expressed a determination to keep the commandments of God by the help of the Lord.

Sept. 22 — Wind light and variable. Weather dull and misty. Prayer at 9:30 by Elder Harris. Elder Dowdle gave some good instructions. School at 2 PM. At 5 minutes past 3 Sarah Ann Rillstone, wife of Richard Rillstone was delivered of a son on board the ship. In the evening prayer by Elder Gurr. Singing. Elder Roberts assisted Brother Hawkins in settling a difficulty.

Sept. 23. Weather fine, going about 5 knots. The difficulty settled between the parties by mutual reconciliation. Prayers this morning by Elder Roberts. Sister Rillstone improving, No school this afternoon. A large whale passed in front of the ship at 6:30 PM Seen by a great many of the passengers. Prayer led by Pres. Wall. He gave notice that the Journal should be read before all the company on the next morning.

Sept. 24, Thursday: Wind from the Northeast by North going with one point East. Weather fine, mercury up to 78. Elder Hunter led prayers. attended with singing. Elder Roberts read an account from the Journal till we crossed the line. The rest was read on anotheroccasion. Pres. Wall made a motion that the company accept the account up to the time of crossing the line, which was seconded by Elder Dowdle, and carried unanimously. School at 2:30 PM. In the evening had a testimony meeting. Elder Dowdle conducting. Elder Robb made prayer. After which many bore their testimonies to the truth of the work. Elder Wall gave some good instructions.

Sept. 26, Saturday: Light variable winds lasted throughout the day. A meeting between decks for prayer, Elder Robb officiated. Singing. Elder Roberts not being well did not keep school. In the evening Elder Gingell gave prayer, songs.

Sept. 27, Sunday: This morning fine, fair wind, going in course which continue throughout the day. Weather cool and fine. Assembled between decks at 11 AM for meeting. Prayer by Elder Dowdle, singing. After which 2 children were blessed by Presidency. 1st, son of Win. and Mary Gingell, named Joseph WM. Gingell. The 2nd, the son of Richard Rillstone named Will Wall Rillstone, after which Elder Dowdle preached to the company. Pres. Wall dismissed. Had testimony meeting in the evening. Many of the brothers and sisters bore their testimonies. Peace on board ship.

October 5, Monday: This morning wind light. Going about 3 knots. Weather wet. Had prayer by Elder Robb. Breeze freshened at 10 AM ~nd continued to blow until night. In the evening had prayer and singing. Pres. Wall gave some good instructions. Wind strong tonight. Going about 9 knots.

October 9, Friday: Fair wind, going about 5 knots. Mercury up to 69. Elder Burton made prayer. Elder Dowdle gave some good instructions. About 3:30 sighted ling, an island in Latitude 34.0 Longitude 120, first land seen since we saw the Three Kings North of New Zealand. In the evening had prayer with singing. Peace reigned throughout.

October 10, Saturday: This day fine fair breeze, passed 3 Islands, also singing. Also in the evening had prayer and singing. Light breeze died away. Peace among us.

October 12, Monday: This morning wind light, weather fine. Anchored in San Pedro Bay. Had prayer in morning with singing. Pres. Wall went ashore to arrange about the accomodat ions for the Company. In the evening had prayet and singing.

October 13, Tuesday: Most of the Company went ashore with their baggage into the rooms that were engaged for the Company for a week, until teams arrived from San Bernadino. Elder Wall and Robb started off to San Bernadino to get teams to convey us there, but after arriving at Los Angeles they met some of the Brethren with their teams who agreed to come to San Pedro to assist in moving us from that place. The Company left San Pedro in the afternoon and started for a place about 3 miles distant to water the cattle, while Brothers Wall and Robb stayed in Los Angeles.

They were in great danger from some who had apostatized from; the Church. They beset the houses round about but the Lord protected them and they got away safe and arrived before the teams at San Pedro. The next day we started for a place called Mente. Arrived there at nightfall.. One wagon broke down and we stayed one day at Mente, till more teams could be got. The next day we started our journey, made about 30 miles. The next day at about 3 PM arrived at San Bernadino. We soon got empty houses and on Sunday we were received by the people by vote put by President Cox.


Mary Ann Woodhams Gingell, my great grandmother, was born in Hastings. England. Her parents were David Woodhams and Lucy Richardson. The Gingells moved to Camden, Cook County, Australia where four children, Charlotte Elizabeth, Eliza Jane. Henry Twaits and David were born. They then moved to Sydney where Stephen, William, James George, Sarah Mary, and Joseph came to bless their home.

In 1857 William and Mary Ann and five of their children, having identified themselves with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, set sail for America on the ship Lucas. Mary Ann gave birth to her tenth child on the high seas whom they named Josiah W. On

Their Contribution To UTAH

board were many converts and several missionaries wh6 were a great source of comfort and inspiration to the weary travelers who were not accustomed to such hardships. After arriving at San Pedro the company rested for a short time and then made preparations for the trek across the plains.

The Gingells arrived in Utah in 1857 and soon moved to Parowan, and late: to Paragonah where they arrived New Year's Day, 1858.

In this little community they endured all the hardships of pioneering. Sometime between 1861 and 1870 they moved to Evanston, Wyoming. Their first home was built of logs brought from a camp near Piedmont. The first marriage in Evanston was held in this home. The young couple were David Gingell and Caroline Jage. It was solemnized by Rev. Mr. Stevens, a clergyman of the Episcopal Church who had stopped in Evanston for a few days.

Mrs. Anderson, Genealogical Secretary in Evanston in 1953, says of her great-grandmother: "As a little child I can remember Mary Ann Woodhams Gingell, then quite old, going with her small bag to the homes to help deliver babies as she was a midwife."

Mrs. Gingell died in Evanston, Wyoming—D.U.P. Files

Linked toEliza Jane Gingell

» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»     » Slide Show

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, created by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2005.